When you’re trying to demand settlement for your personal injury, things can get a bit complicated and messy if you’re not careful. There are plenty of documents to get together, amounts to calculate, and names to remember. However, this is a super important part of making sure you get the compensation you deserve for your accident. Down below, we’re going to go through the top things you need to think about when preparing a settlement demand package for your personal injury. Keep reading to learn some more about this process!
1. Be Sure to Order A PIP/Medpay Ledger of Payments
First of all, you are going to need to order a PIP/MedPay payment ledger from the insurance company. This is the insurance company your car was insured by at the time of the accident.
2. Check Out the Ledger for Anything You Might Have Overlooked
Once you have received the ledger, you should do a thorough look-through to see if there are any doctors or prescriptions that you have overlooked. This is important to know for further down in the process.
3. List Out All of Your Doctors, Hospitals, Etc.
Next, make a list of all of your doctors, hospitals and prescriptions. It’s especially important to list down those items that are more closely involved with your accident.
4. Get All of Your Medical Bills in Order
Next up, take the time to get all of your medical bills in order from the hospital where you received treatment. These documents are crucial to receive if you want to receive a settlement package.
5. Don’t Forget About Your Medical Reports and Records
Along with the medical bills, you should also get your medical reports and records in hand to include in the settlement package. This is also important if you’re working with a San Bernardino personal injury attorney.
6. Send the Lost Wages Request Letter to Your Employer
After you have started this document collection, you will need to fax or email a letter to request the calculation of lost wages from your employer’s HR department.
7. Calculate Up Your Lost Wages Because Of The Personal Injury
Once you have gotten this information from your employer, you will easily be able to calculate how many wages you lost because of the injury.
8. Arrange the Medical Records in Chronological Order
Once you have checked the dates on all your medical records, arrange them in chronological order. Then you will arrange all of these costs on the medical specials summary.
9. Check for Any Prescriptions
And then check for any prescriptions related to the accident that will then be listed on the medical specials summary.
10. Add on Any Future Costs for Treatment Recommended by The Doctor
If your doctor has predicted any future costs for treatment because of your injury, then this should also be added to the bottom of the medical specials summary.
11. Identify Any Problems with Your Medical Records
Go through all of your medical records and bills to check for any problems that may have arisen.
12. Organize All Medical Records in Reverse Chronological Order
Then, you will organize all of your medical records in reverse chronological order.
13. Obtain Liability Research
After you have done this, you will then obtain liability and jury verdict research.
14. Draft Up a Demand Letter
Now is the time to write up your actual settlement package and put everything together. You will start with the demand letter, which is basically the cover letter that summarizes the rest of the package.
15. Write Up the Final Demand Letter, Medical Specials Summary, Future Medicals Summary, And the Lost Wages Summaries
Once you have the cover letter done, you can type up all of the above documents.
16. Make Sure to Proofread All Documents
And of course, when you’ve typed up these documents, proofread them to ensure all spelling and grammar is correct.
17. Make Sure All of The Dollar Amounts Are Correct
Ensure that the dollar amounts in your settlement package are all added correctly.
18. Make Exact Copies of What You Send to The Insurance Company
It’s a good idea to make exact copies of the settlement package that you send to your insurance company.
19. Mail or Hand Deliver the Final Package
Finally, you will send away your final settlement package to your insurance company by mail or by hand.
20. Follow Up In 5 Days
It’s a good idea to follow up within five days to ensure that the package was delivered properly.
Make sure to follow these tips if you want to properly construct and send away your personal injury settlement package for your insurance company.
Latest posts by Luke (see all)
- Beginners Guide to Online Trading - April 25, 2017
- 4 Ways Today’s Businesses Are Being Affected by The Internet - April 25, 2017
- 7 Simple Hacks to Increase Traffic on Your Website - April 25, 2017