5 of the best sweets, pastries and desserts in Italy, from Sicilian cannoli to gelato!
Here are just five of our favorite Italian sweets, or dolci but you can add yours in the comments.
- GELATO – Whether it’s the heat of summer or the dead of winter,there is always an excuse to go for a gelato. And no, gelato isn’t just “ice cream.” It has way less butterfat (4 to 8 percent, compared to 14 percent for American ice cream), meaning it freezes less solidly than ice cream and melts in your mouth faster. And it’s not whipped with air and water, as with ice cream elsewhere, so it’s more flavorful.
- CANNOLI – Cannoli alone are a reason to head to Sicily… or at least to a good Sicilian bakery in Italy! Tube-shaped shells are fried to a delicious crisp, then filled with creamy ricotta. The sign of a top-notch bakery? When all you see in the display case are the shells themselves, and they’re only filled with ricotta when you actually order one. Often, you’ll also be asked if you want the ends dipped in chocolate chips, candied fruit, or pistachios. We don’t think you can go wrong with any of the options! Just remember, when you’re ordering, that the singular of cannoli is cannolo—so, no, you never order “one cannoli.”
- PANETTONE – Read more
- SFOGLIATELLE – Read more
- TIRAMISU’ – Read more
See on www.walksofitaly.com
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014