For those out there that think of anchovies as “bait” taste again!
The oily anchovies pair perfectly with the savory flavor of sage, dipped in a light batter and fried quickly until golden they are absolutely addictive & perfect with a glass of white wine before dinner. Commonly overlooked, but absolutely delicious is the blue fish family or pesce azzuro – anchovies, sardines, mackerel, etc. they are not only flavorful but rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
The Fried Anchovies with Sage recipe celebrates the reopening of the Adriatic Sea for fishing. Every year, the Adriatic closes fishing for six weeks in the summer – hey even the anchovies need a holiday!
Fried Anchovies with Sage–Acciughe fritte con la salvia
- 1lb of fresh anchovies, cleaned, spine removed – you can use small sardines as well.
- sage leaves (optional – if you are not a fan of sage just omit)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- seltzer water
- vegetable oil for frying
See on latavolamarche.blogspot.it
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014