Sometimes people have really good ideas and they don’t even imagine the consequences of their implementation in the everyday life. I’m sure Leonardo Da Vinci didn’t expect us to use his inventions till nowadays, and in some cases we are still discovering new ways of applying them to the new technologies.
Some researchers just discover things by chance and some others were looking for a completely different invention and found something else.
You might have heard that Italians are inventors, and I’m telling you it’s true with a few examples:
- Telephone: invented by Innocenzo Manzetti (1844) and Antonio Meucci (1871)
- Plastic: yes, the one we use every day in many shapes and colours, it was created by Giulio Natta in the 60’s and sold with the name of Moplen
- Piano: this musical instrument was born in 1698 (in its modern form) and was invented by Bartolomeo Cristofori
- Battery: Alessandro Volta was the father of this invention (1799). The measurement unit Volt takes his name.
- Glasses: a great invention for people who can’t see very well, born during the 14th century (Giordano da Pisa)
- Bank: a system created in Italy in 1462, during the Renaissance. (Monte dei Paschi di Siena)
- Radio: invented by Guglielmo Marconi and the Spanish Cevera in 1895
- Highway: the first proper motorway was the one connecting Milan and Laghi, built in 1923
- Microchip: Federico Faggin created this small but so important component of every electronic device during the 60’s
- Helicopter: invented in 1930 by Corradino d’Ascanio
If you want to discover other Italian inventions you can click here and you’ll be surprised by their amount
I didn’t mention food on purpose, but what do you think about pasta and pizza? For sure there were some ancient forms of those, maybe in China says somebody, but the one we eat today are known as Italian.
See on www.lexiophiles.com
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014