Check Username Tips
Check username? Claiming all of your usernames can help you in several ways. Whether you are branding yourself or your company going through this process can help you get found online. I would recommend doing both your business and your personal name. If you are looking for a job or are in any position in a company where people are going to search your name on Google you will want to make sure you own what is going to come up. LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Quora, and even a bunch of other Social Media sites come up in the search results. Personally I have claimed as many as I can for Matt Massaro as well as bought the website.. Just about every search result for my name I control and control the information on it. You can do the same for companies and all of this helps SEO to get found online.
You would be surprised how many people/businesses I help that have over 100 likes on their Facebook page and haven’t claimed a username for it. This will make it a lot more difficult to come up in search engines when the URL has a lot of numbers in it. Claiming your username in every single one is time consuming but it also creates a backlink by adding your website URL to each profile you make which helps out as well. Keep in mind when you claim your usernames and URL you could make them keywords instead of the business name as well. So for example, if you were a photographer in San Diego, you could do facebook.com/sandiegophotography as your username so that it will come up in search results for that. I’m going to just list out a bunch of tips including a couple of websites to do a username check to see which ones are available for you.
- Claim your username on the main social media sites first. Such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Quora, Tumblr, WordPress, About.me, and a friends QR social media networking site called qwikr.me has showed my profile in rankings as well. The Qwikr.me site is a great site to showcase all of your social profiles as just about everything is an option to add and you can add multiple profiles per platform.
- Twitter you pick your username when you create the account. For Google+ you should make your profile and if you want a short link instead of all of the numbers use a link shorterner custom URL like Bit.ly. I have bit.ly/gplusmatt and also there is a specific site just for shortening/customizing Google+ profiles which is gplus.to. On that one mine is gplus.to/mattmassaro.
Here are a couple sites to check username availability:
- Http://namechk.com Click the all option and it will show you 159 sites.
That should be enough to get you started…. and keep you busy for a while! I have to admit even I haven’t made it through a lot of those. I try to use one of the sites and then go in and claim a couple new ones each week. Stay tuned for more tips!
Latest posts by Matt Massaro (see all)
- Social Media Share Boosters – North San Diego Blog, Everything About North San Diego County - February 28, 2013
- Two WordPress Social Media Stream Plugins – North San Diego Blog - February 22, 2013
- 3 Social Media Tools For Small Business 2013 - February 18, 2013