The Verdicchio wine DOC is produced from an ancient grape of the Marches.
Verdicchio has been commercially successful in the world since the ’60s in its simple version, fresh and youthful. The high efficiency allows the Verdicchio fresh sparkling wine, but its most precious vocation has been improved only recently, thanks to products firm and dry, full bodied and interesting similarity, a now common use of barriques.
- Production areas: Castelli di Jesi (Castles of Jesi, with name labels as Classic), other areas include the hills in the center of the province of Ancona. The cousin of the Matelica Verdicchio Classico is produced in the areas that comprise the heart of the Valley Esina.
- Grapes: Verdicchio grapes from the vine, and at most 15% of other white grapes. Verdicchio from the Castles of Jesi is one of the world’s most popular white, the particular nature of the local soil, favorable climatic conditions and, above all, the constant ventilation which prevents the formation of moisture on the grapes, makes possible the development of optimal ‘grapes in this area.
- Color: green gold.
- Perfume: The scent is rich wildflowers, citrus tones, peach and apple. Even more fruity Matelica, rising at higher altitudes.
- Taste in the mouth: leaving an aftertaste of almonds. Dry wine, fresh tasty but often, not only for the salt air, but also for the desks of some territories of saltpetre Jesi. The final taste is bitter.
- Alcohol: For the Verdicchio from the Castles of Jesi Classic, minimum 11.5°. For Classic Superior at least 12° and 12.5° for the minimum reserve. The mention Reserve may be designated on the label if the wine has an alcohol content of 12.5° and a minimum age of 24 months, of which at least 6 in bottle. The Passito type must have at least an alcohol content of 15° and approximately one year of age.
- Temperature: 8 °C – 12 °C (47 °F – 53 °F)
- Pairing: Whole meal due to its structure and duration of taste and smell, which is sometimes comparable to full-bodied structure of a red wine. It goes especially well with fish, and particularly on starters, risottos and cooked or grilled or au gratin. Outstanding versions reserve with roast rabbit.
- History and legends: It is said that Alaric the Visigoth king did hoard Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi, on the road to Rome, to increase the vigor of his soldiers … “bring him some forty barrels at nothing to take with him estimating sanitade et Melio war vigor” of the wine. Cupramontana city came around a temple erected in honor of the goddess Cupra, that restored by the Roman Emperor Hadrian in 217 AD. There propitiatory rites were held sacred drink of wine, probable ancestor of Verdicchio, in honor, in fact, the Cupra, goddess of wealth and opulence.
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014