- Grape: Vernaccia Rossa di Pergola, Aleatico clone 100% – red wine
- Growing area: Village of Montalfoglio, S. Cristoforo farm, 395 m above sea level. Village of Montevecchio, 485 m above sea level
- Soil characteristics: medium density – slightly clayey in Montalfoglio, clay, slightly calciferous in Montevecchio
- Slope orientation south-east east
- Average age of the vineyards: 35 years in Montalfoglio – 20 years in Montevecchio
- Vine training system: Upwards spur trained Cordon system, vine density 2500 vines/ha. Upwards trained Guyot-System, vine density 2800 vines/ha
- Yield: 6 tons of grapes per ha
- Harvest: Manually, strict grape selection, beginning of September
- Vinification: Destemming and crushing of the grapes, temperature controlled fermentation at 25-28°C for 7-10 days in stainless steel containers, malolactic fermentation in glass-coated cement vats, followed by a 3 months aging period. Bottling in January and further aging in the bottle.
- Wine description: “Vernaculum” is made from grapes of an Aleatico clone, introduced to the area in 1234, the year Pergola was founded by the Gubbio city government. The colour is ruby-red tending to purple-red, intense nose of cherry, pomegranate and wild berry; on the palate it leaves a dry and fresh sensation, offering a harmonious and very distinct character. “Vernaculum” is traditionally served with prosciutto and coldmeat, dishes with white meat, with truffles or mushrooms and with fish stew. This wine should be drunk young, within 2 years from bottling.
- Serving temperature: 14-16°C.
See on www.villaligi.it
- Best Wines of Le Marche: Terra Cruda, Ortaia, Pergola Rosso Doc(internetbillboards.net)
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014