At Costa Digiano in biodyanamic agriculture special attention is given to the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The farm is home to 150 ancient Mignola olive trees. A rare variety, indigenous to the area around Cingoli, which produces an extraordinary and entirely unique olive oil. It’s typical aromas express forest berry flavors with notes of raspberries and strawberries. It is particularly rich in health promoting polyphenols, responsible for its bold spiciness and bitter almond aftertaste.
Mignola is an endangered species. Almost all of the existing Mignola trees are centuries old and this variety is rarely replanted due to the popularity of more common “national” varieties. The fact that it’s notoriously difficult to harvest (Mignola literally “sticks” to the trees, requiring 100% hand harvesting) and that the ancient trees are often subject to alternating production years, have contributed to the abandon on the Mignola variety …
- Probably the best Olive Oil of le Marche:Azienda del Carmine, Ancona (internetbillboards.net)
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil of Le Marche: Silvestri Rosina (internetbillboards.net)
- Le Marche Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Poderi San Lazzaro, Borgo Miriam (internetbillboards.net)
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014