This Verdicchio di Matelica riserva is a wine that has been prized with “5 grappoli” by the AIS Guide “Duemilavini” ed. 2012.Classiﬁcation : Verdiocchio di Matelica Riserva D.O.C.
Grape varieties : I00% Verdicchio
Growing area : Contrada Monacesca, Municipality of Matelica.
Vineyard size : 3 hectares
Vineyard aspect : North-south
Soils proﬁle : Predominantly clayey
Training system : Vertically-trained arched or double-arched cane
Vineyard age : 30 years
Vineyard density : 1.800 vines/hectare
Vineyard yield : 2 kg/vine
Vineyard altitude : 400 metres
Harvest period : Third-fourth week in October
Viniﬁcation process: Hand picking of the gapes. which had been left on the vine an extra two weeks until slightly over-ripe; they were immediately lightly pressed with no use of SO2 followed by 20 day fermentation at 20°C in stainless steel. The wine rested on the fine less until spring and undenwent natural malolactic fernentation in early summer.
Maturation : Eighteen months in steel and six in glass. then oofficially released December 1, two years from harvest, in accord with regulations.
Sensory profile: A wine of great distinction produced only in the finest years; the slightly oser-ripe yerdicchio grapes are its remarkable resource.
Combined with a lengthy maturation. these grapes yield a remarkably aromatic nose. which releases intense scents of toasted almonds, citrus. honey and crusted bread; with cellaring, the bouquet will develop still greater complexity. On the palate. it immediately expands to astounding richness and suppleness balanced rich and seemingly endless. It is ideal with non-aged cheeses, cured-meat antipasti, and sauced poultry and veal.
Serving temperature: l2°C
Production quantity : 20.000 750 ml bottles and 500 L5 lt. magnums
Cellaring potential : 10 years or more
- Cantina Cavalieri, Matelica: Verdicchio di Matelica (internetbillboards.net)
- Awarded Wines of Le Marche:Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore Il Coroncino 2009 – Fattoria Coroncino (internetbillboards.net)
- Awarded Wines of Le Marche: Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore San Michele 2009 – Bonci (internetbillboards.net)
- Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Riserva La Selezione Gioacchino Garofoli 2006, Garofoli (internetbillboards.net)
I am passionate about Le Marche Region in Italy, follow me to discover it.
Latest posts by Mariano Pallottini (see all)
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: SeePort Hotel, Ancona - April 15, 2015
- Le Marche Inspired food in Washington - April 15, 2015
- Best Le Marche Accommodations: Hotel Leone Montelparo - December 26, 2014