Hey teachers, you may not have to leave those kids alone, after all. The Missouri branch of the American Civil Liberties Union says that a new law which outlaws student-teacher friendships on social media sites violates the first amendment and plans to fight it.
Late last month, Missouri became the first state to regulate teachers’ social networking conduct when Governor Jay Nixon signed Missouri Senate Bill 54 , which states that ”no teacher shall establish, maintain, or use a non work-related internet site which allows exclusive access with a current or former student,” into law.
- Missouri Law Says Students, Teachers Can’t Be Facebook Friends (politics.slashdot.org)
- Trend Watch: Missouri Outlaws Student-Teacher Facebook & Twitter Friendships [PODCAST] (debaird.net)
- Missouri bans students and teachers from being Facebook friends | ZDNet (mbcalyn.wordpress.com)
- Missouri struggles to prevent student/teacher sex (rt.com)
- Missouri bans students and teachers from being Facebook friends (zdnet.com)