Via Scoop.it – internetbillboards
The LA Times reports that the LAPD is appealing to Lady Gaga and Ashton Kutcher to use their Twitter influence to alert motorists to the traffic nightmare that is expected when the 405 Freeway closes next month. While city officials have resorted to press conferences, advertising, email blasts and warning messages in order to inform locals about the impending doom, they are not above recruiting celebs to get the message across.
The LAPD has requested that celebrities with large Twitter followings –- including actors, musicians and professional athletes -– send out messages helping authorities get the word out. Officials want the celebrities not just to urge their followers about avoiding the 10-mile stretch of the roadway that will be closed on the weekend of July 15th but to encourage them to stay close to home. Wow, they think celebs wield that much influence over the common folk?
Two of the celebs they reached out to are Lady Gaga, who has over 11 million Twitter followers, as well as Ashton Kutcher, who has over 7 million followers.
- Ashton Kutcher tweets for LAPD, asks a favor (laobserved.com)
- 405 Carmageddon machine cranks up (laobserved.com)
- Tech-Obsessed Ashton Kutcher Joins SB Nation’s Advisory Board (thenewspundit.com)
- Celebrities On Twitter (mademan.com)
- Ashton Kutcher partners with new travel website (via The Marquee Blog) (via Techweev.com) (techweev.com)
I think it is a sign of the times that our local, state and even our federal government is reaching out using social media and celebrities to carry an important message to the masses. This is a good thing in my opinion. I really like both Ashton Kutcher and Lady Gaga, although I am not personally following their tweets on a regular basis, I know there are so many people that will benefit from this. Did you see the President has something scheduled on Twitter. Who would of imagined that this would develop into what it has. Social media is changing the world. What are you thought’s, care to share them with a comment below?
Latest posts by Tom George (see all)
- New Digital Trends In Today’s Smartphone-Obsessed World - September 6, 2016
- 5 Things a Recruiter Looks for in a Resume - August 30, 2016
- Obtaining Legal Immunity for Pet Cohabitation - August 30, 2016