Visitors to Italy will find less anarchy in 2011 — at times the experience is positively Germanic. Take Rome, for example, where the relatively new online reservation system for the Vatican Museum is running smoothly, and some lucky visitors can even enjoy its vast collection at night. The museum is now open most Friday evenings April through October from 7-11 p.m. (by reservation only, http://mv.vatican.va). Anytime you go, you can see the museum’s Etruscan Rooms, which are finally open after a long renovation.
Across town at the Colosseum, the ancient arena is being cleaned from top to bottom and given permanent lighting. In future years, this ambitious project may open up new areas which were previously closed to visitors.
A renovation project is transforming Tiburtina, Rome’s second-largest train station once known mainly as a bus hub. A sleek, modern station is currently being built for high-speed rail. At least one Eurostar Italia bullet train stops here already, and a new company — Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori (NTV) — is expected to start running its Italo high-speed trains from Tiburtina sometime in 2011.
This year, it’s even getting easier to buy Ferragamo shoes (and anything else) on Rome’s fashionable Via Condotti. Traditionally, shops in Rome were closed for a long lunch break. But in the city center, many are now staying open throughout the day — generally 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Curated content by a travel content curator for Internet Billboards, us the image below to view the original source.
- Rome in a day – Rome, Italy (travelpod.com)
- A full house for papal beatification in Rome on May 1 (thestar.com)
- Rome expects massive crowds for May 1 papal beatification (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- A Slight Disappointment and a New Place to Visit – Rome, Italy (travelpod.com)
- Recommendable place – Rome, Italy (travelpod.com)
Latest posts by Tom George (see all)
- New Digital Trends In Today’s Smartphone-Obsessed World - September 6, 2016
- 5 Things a Recruiter Looks for in a Resume - August 30, 2016
- Obtaining Legal Immunity for Pet Cohabitation - August 30, 2016